ot only does coconut smell and taste amazing, its oil has many health benefits and uses.
Here are some of my favourites:
1. Coconut oil has anti-aging properties and stimulates collagen production. Coconut oil is an antioxidant, which helps to protect, heal, nourish, and repair damaged skin. Coconut oil helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and also be used to protect your skin from UV rays, which can increase your risk of skin cancer, wrinkling and brown spots. (Why Coconut oil is the best anti-wrinkle, anti-aging treatment, 2018
2. Coconut it is the richest natural source of medium fatty chains (MCF), a special type of fatty acid with antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that are very nourishing. Coconut oil can improve the strength, length and flexibility of your hair, reduce protein loss, and is great for dry and damaged hair and scalps. If you use a cocnut oil hair mask (see Tip below) your hair will be softer and shineier.
Tip: On dry hair, apply coconut oil to your scalp and hair - use a generous portion of coconut oil. Then wrap a plastic bag around your hair, and let it soak overnight. In the morning, wash your hair normally and enjoy the benefits!
3. Coconut has anti-inflammatory properties. Ingesting coconut has been proven to reduce inflammation within the body. (The Amazing Benefits of Coconut Oil for Skin, 2019). Coconut oil also has antibacterial benefits and can fight fungus and germs. Using coconut oil on your skin not only softens your skin, as it’s an intense moisturizer, it also protects your skin from pathogens that will eventually turn into acne and other blemishes. “Coconut oil can actually inhibit the growth of potentially harmful micro-organisms that can wreak havoc on your skin.” (The Amazing Benefits of Coconut Oil for Skin, 2019)
4. Coconut oil is an amazing moisturizer, gentle exfoliant, deep cleanser and natural makeup remover. It’s great at hydrating dry skin, including scalps. Coconut oil get rid of dead skin cells and unclogs your pores. It also gets rid of excess oil on your face. (Top 10 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Coconut Oil, n.d.)
5. Coconut oil can reduce , eczema, and scars. Coconut oil boosts collagen production, which helps in producing new skin and therefore reducing scars.
6. You can cook with coconut oil and it’s 100% natural and gluten-free. Some coconut oil is more refined than others, meaning it’s been exposed to more chemicals and processes. Cold-pressed coconut oil is not refined and is the best option.
Tip: I’ve heard coconut oil can also be a great substitute for butter in vegan meals.
7. Coconut oil can be used as a natural nipple soother for mother’s who are nursing. It soothes and repairs the irritation on and around the nipple.
Tip: I read on Lifehack that for a simple (nipple) cream, melt together two teaspoons of cocoa butter, one teaspoon of olive oil and two teaspoons of the magic ingredient – coconut oil – and mix well. (9 Amazing Uses for Coconut Oil You Never Knew, n.d.)
Coconut oil is seriously one of my favourite things. Though not everyone will see the same benefits from coconut oil, I personally swear by it for my face, hair, andbody.
Confession: If I know I’m going to hook up and get some, I’ll put extra coconut oil in my ass crack and around my vag, that way I taste extra yummy!
What's your favourite way to use coconut oil?
9 Amazing Uses for Coconut Oil You Never Knew. (n.d.). Retrieved from Life Hacks: https://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/9-amazing-uses-for-coconut-oil-you-never-knew.html
The Amazing Benefits of Coconut Oil for Skin. (2019). Retrieved from Active Skin Beauty Blog: https://www.activeskin.com.au/blog/amazing-benefits-of-coconut-oil-for-skin/
Top 10 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Coconut Oil. (n.d.). Retrieved from HealthLine: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil
Why Coconut oil is the best anti-wrinkle, anti-aging treatment. (2018). Retrieved from The Life Co: https://www.thelifeco.com/en/blog/why-coconut-oil-is-the-best-anti-wrinkle-anti-aging-treatment/